Pages

September 30, 2012

A Busy Weekend for Mrs. Delaware United States

Saturday, September 29th was a day of education, glitz and glamour and raising awareness.  My day stared in Wilmington at the Chase Center where I joined my sorority sisters  for the Wilmington Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta's college fair.  The college fair was a part of the Delta Outreach and Education Center Program and their commitment to provide educational and social services, cultural enrichment and personal development skills for adolescent girls.  The young ladies in the Jabberwock Cotillion Class of 2012-2013, participated in workshops, met with college admissions recruiters from universities in Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey and I had the opportunity to speak to the participants and their guests about college from a professor's  point of view.

I can remember attending similar events as a high school student and know how important and instrumental the women of Delta Sigma Theta were in helping me to choose the right college and providing the necessary mentorship, which has enable me to become the person that I am today.  It's always great working with strong women committed to passing the torch to the next generation.  Much respect to the Women of Delta Sigma  Theta.



After that, I made my way to Delaware City for the "Walking Down the 'Blue' Carpet Fashion Show" and Fundraiser to benefit prostate cancer survivors.  The Fashions Show was coordinated and hosted by Shaina Milan, Miss Delaware Collegiate America 2013.  Not only is Shaina a fellow pageant sister, but she's one of our proud military personnel serving in the U.S. Marines.  As a part of her commitment to service, she organized this fashion show and fundraiser to raise money for the Prostate Cancer Foundation.  September is National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, and as someone who has lost uncles and a father-in-law to this dreaded disease, I was more than willing to do my part.  It was the first time that I'd ever strutted my stuff on a runway as a title holder and I had a blast with all of the other title holders and participants.

For more information about prostate cancer visit:  www.pfc.org








 

No comments:

Post a Comment